The Confidence Myth
The narrative around confidence and females lacking confidence in coaching is often mentioned.
However, contrary to belief, most active female coaches who responded to Sport Ireland’s Women in Coaching survey said they had moderate to high levels of confidence in their ability to coach.
Based on their response to confidence levels, respondents were asked to explain the reasons for their rating. Five key themes emerged that influenced respondents’ confidence levels including:
- The level of knowledge and skills they had.
- The level of feedback they received from athletes, parents, and other coaches.
- Their achievements, triumphs, and successes.
- Areas for development in their coaching abilities.
- The level of experience they had i.e., seasoned, or new coach.