Ballintotis Loops - Castle Loop
This trail follows country roads and laneways from the Church car park and passes Ballintotas National School (built in 1898). It incorporates Ballintotis Castle (once the possession of the Fitzgeralds of Munster) dating from the 16th century and the ruins of a national school dated 1826. Other features to be enjoyed on this trail include open countryside, traditional farmsteads, crops and farm animals as well as abundant wildlife (hare, pheasant, fox, and rabbit are common). Varieties of native plant, bird and insect species abound amid the long-established hedgerows of this looped trail as it returns to the trailhead at the Church car park.
All services in Castlemartyr
Bus service to Castlemartyr 2km from trailhead